HIGH REJECTION AND FLOW RO MEMBRANE FOR RESIDENTIAL WATER PURIFICATION SYSTEMS
RO technology has been used for decades but an increased urbanization is driving demand for a decentralized approach with final treatment at the point of use, in homes and offices. Traditional RO systems in centralized settings have the benefit of industrial pumps to increase the pressure and recovery.
THE CHALLENGE WITH RESIDENTIAL RO APPLICATION
The needs of customers with residential water purifiers are greater, requiring not only high water quality and long filter lifetime, but also compact and high flow systems optimized to treat tap water (quality and pressure as available from tap). Additionally, governments are setting standards requiring higher recovery to minimize waste. This combined requirement for high flow tankless system designs and high recovery operations is resulting in some unique challenges for the home RO purifier manufacturers, especially in regions with higher TDS waters.
- High mixed ion rejection is critical to meet permeate water quality needs under all conditions.
- Sustainable flow with minimal flux decline over the life of RO element to consistently meet drinking water quality requirements.
- Proper operation and maintenance to control RO membrane scaling and fouling to maximize membrane life and output (see Memstar’s Technical Bulletin Scale Control in Home RO Systems).
SOLUTION: MEMSTAR’S PROPRIETARY RES-HR RO HIGHER PERMEABILITY MEMBRANE
Memstar USA’s state-of-the-art RO flat sheet manufacturing plant in Conroe, Texas utilizes the most advanced equipment and methods to manufacture consistently high-quality membrane products while reducing the costs for customers through optimized manufacturing processes. Both the flat sheet manufacturing process and the flat sheet product itself have been re-conceptualized and redesigned to solve the challenges and demands of the residential RO market.
Optimal design and performance for both the RO system and the RO element is required to meet these demands while maximizing water recovery. We realize the requirement for a symbiotic approach and provide our customers guidance on system design and operation, and manufacture the RES-HR RO membrane which is designed specifically to perform optimally under typical operating conditions.
KEY BENEFITS AND FEATURES
- Industry leading mixed ion rejection to enable high water recovery
- Optimal flux stability to prevent rapid decline over the life of the RO element
These key benefits, combined with optimal system design, allow high recovery with sustained flow, even with high TDS waters, to fully meet the requirements for a best in class residential water purifier.